Thursday 22 November 2012

Quick and Easy Sparkling Chocolate Cake in a Mug [How To Make]

 

Date: 22/11/12

Background: The weather outside is frightful, but in with the cats is delightful, so whilst sat watching Ol’ Lord Shug (Sugar), Eat cake in a mug, in a mug, in a mug.

This pudding is NOT MINE, it is a recipe of the BBC Good Food Show Member Recipe by “Sarah”. This is a recipe I have made on several occasions now, and every time I make it, and listen to the tweaks other members (namely “cake monster) have made, I get a better and better experience! So I have adapted this a little bit, and I hope you enjoy making it! And the best thing is, is that I had all of the ingredients in the store cupboard.

What: Sparkling Chocolate Cake in a Mug


Ingredients:

  • 1 coffee mug 2012-11-22 19.45.25
  • 4 Tbsp. Self Raising Flour
  • 4 Tbsp. Caster Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil (I use Sunflower/Vegetable)

To Serve:

  • Toffee/Chocolate Sauce
  • Crunchie® Chocolate Bar
  • Vanilla Ice-cream

Method:

  1. Mix together the wet ingredients in a bowl
  2. Pour combined wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
  3. Dollop the mixture into the coffee mug
  4. Cook in a microwave at 800W for 3 minutes
  5. Allow to cool for 1 minutes before turning the cake out
  6. Using a rolling pin, bash the Crunchie® bar to break it up into chunks and golden sparkly crumbs
  7. Drizzle the cake with toffee sauce, sprinkle with the broken Crunchie® and serve with scoops of vanilla ice-cream


What was Good: SPEED and SIMPLICITY! I made it all in the last 15 minutes of Eastenders, ready for eating whilst watching Young Apprentice on TV! The ingredients are cheap and, for me anyway, store cupboard staples! This is actually the best attempt of this recipe I have made so far. Aesthetics wise it did not look restaurant worthy, I admit that, because the cake refused to be decanted from the mug in one piece, but all in all wonderful combination of tastes, textures and flavours. The Crunchie® nuggets melt slightly into the cake, and as usual a Hot and Cold Pudding is just what you need when there is a storm blowing a gale outside.

What was Bad: The fact it didn’t look very neat and tidy… Although that doesn’t really bother me when making and baking cakes just for me. It had a nice chocolatey flavour but I felt it was lacking a little bit of depth. But for a cake make in a mug in around 15minutes, who can complain!?

Would I Make It Again?: Yes I would! If desperation calls I always have this recipe to fall back on and hug!

Waffle-O-Meter:

WAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLE

2012-11-22 19.52.43 (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment