Background: Being on Weightwatchers® because I want to lose some weight to be healthier and feel more confident, it naturally means that some of my decadently delicious puddingy treats are at least for the time being off the menu. So I thought that, in order to continue enjoying pudding and blogging, I would try and make some weight watchers® friendly cakey treats! So here is my first attempt-with my favourite type of cake!
What: Weightwatchers® (Friendly) Carrot Cake Buns
How Much: Free… Well I had all the ingredients in my Mum’s store cupboard
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 50g Margarine-melted
- 175mls Skimmed Milk
- 55g Caster Sugar & 55g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 225g Carrots-grated
- Zest of an Orange
- 50g Raisins
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 10tsp Icing Sugar
- Enough water to make it into a thick runny paste
- Preheat oven to 170C/Gas Mark 4
- Mix together the “wet ingredients” i.e. melted margarine, milk, vanilla and eggs
- Stir in the carrot, orange zest and raisins
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices
- Milk the sugar into the other “dry ingredients”
- Pour the “wet ingredients” into the dry ones and mix together until combined (try not to over beat)
- Pour the mixture into 16 prepared cake cases in their respective tins
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer into the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Allow to cool then decorate with 1/2tsp-1tsp icing
- Eat and Enjoy!
What was Bad: My icing went wrong… As you can tell… I only had 10tsp of icing sugar to work with, and I added too much water. But it did not detract from the taste of the cake! I think next time I would add more spices, to add a slightly less subtle flavour to the cake. I would also like to add some chopped walnuts to the mix, however this would up the pro-points® per serving.
Would I make them again?: Yes, give me a nice guilt-less cake anyday!
Pro-points® per serving: 4
WEIGHT WATCHERS and ProPoints® are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc.