Saturday 10 November 2012

Disappointing Peach Crumble! :(

 

Date: 5/11/12

Background: Remember, remember, the 5th of November! After a day at work, Stacey and I really fancied something Autumnal and comforting to set us up for a Bonfire Night-in! So delicious Hot Sausage Rolls and homemade Potato Wedges and salad were in store! And for pudding?

What: Peaches with a Crunchy Crumble Topping20121105_185136


Ingredients:

  • Tin of sliced peaches
  • 1 bag of Crumble mix (This was a BIG mistake!)
  • 50g chopped hazelnuts
  • 100g porridge oats
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • To serve: Vanilla ice cream and Toffee Sauce

20121105_185155Method:

  1. Drain peaches and pour into the bottom of a large ovenproof dish
  2. Mix together the oats, hazelnuts, crumble mix and cinnamon
  3. Pour over the peaches and compress slightly
  4. Place in a preheated oven at 180C for 40mins or until golden brown
  5. Serve with ice cream and a drizzle of toffee sauce


What was Good: NOTHING. Slight exaggeration… Well… It Looked yummy! The fruit was soft and sweet and well cooked. The crumble which had caramelised around the edges and gone chewy and crumble like also had a lovely taste. And when mixed with the ice cream, there was also a fairly sweet, spiced flavour and fair texture from the crumble mix. HOWEVER…

What was Bad: THIS WAS A MASSIVE FAILURE! I have never used a crumble mix before, because I always usually use my Grandma’s crumble recipe. But because I was being lazy and it cost 33p a bag I thought what the heck?! I wish I hadn’t. Whether it was just because I bought a cheap (Tesco branded) crumble mix, because I was silly and added extra ingredients to it or because I did not have the will power to keep it in the oven for long enough.. I do not know. Either way, eating cinnamon flavoured sandy grit with hot peaches may have been a similar mouth drying effect, and when eaten on it’s own with no ice cream to moisten it, I similar flavour as well!

Waffle-O-Meter:

WAFFLE[6]WAFFLE-half2

20121105_203825

No comments:

Post a Comment