Monday 27 August 2012

Pudding Redemption

 

Date: 26/8/12

Background: First thing’s first, yes I (Amy) am aware that there is no cake, or in fact any complex carbohydrates involved in this pudding, which was quite a bizarre experience I can tell you! But after a week of complete over pudd-ing-dulgence it was a welcome chance to redeem myself with a light healthy fruity bowl of saintliness. As after all, what is a dinner without a pudding?!

What: Fresh British Raspberries and Strawberries with Lancashire Farms Probiotic Yoghurt

yoghurt

How Much?: Strawberries = 67p per serving (£2 per 454g punnet), Raspberries = 67p per serving (£2 per 200g punnet) (Tesco), Lancashire Farms Probiotic Yoghurt= 20p per serving (£1 per 1kg pot!) (Asda) Overall= £5 but only £1.54 per serving!

What was Good: It was so fresh! There certainly was no sickly stodgy cake-expansion feeling today! The raspberries were soft, melt-in-the-mouth tender, with their natural zingyness that catches your sour taste buds in a very pleasant way, but not so tart that you pull a ridiculous face like those on the Haribo Tangfastic’s advert. The strawberries were equally delicious! I don’t know about you, but when I am ambling leisurely round the supermarket, I will happily pick up a punnet of strawberries to inhale their perfume around this time of year, even if my student £1-an-item budget does not usually stretch to actually buying them. There is something about the combination of raspberries and strawberries that is a winner in my eyes. I think it is probably the texture differences- robust versus delicate. And the sinless probiotic yoghurt also meant that this is the first guilt-free pudding I have had in over a week which will also make my gut happy! The yoghurt was thick and creamy and complimented the fresh fruit well. And the price, although expensive in total for the ingredients, per serving it is a bargain!

What was Bad: Being a carbaholic I think perhaps some nice toasted granola, or even pumpkin seeds with some soft sultanas/raisins would have gone well with this pud. Mainly because that texture combo has always been a firm favourite of mine in the “healthier” pudding category! The yoghurt was nice, don’t get me wrong, but it was a bit too tangy for my liking, and I prefer the less viscous consistency of some other brands of natural rather than probiotic yoghurt. And sadly, I am not going to lie, if I saw this on a menu next to a Belgian waffle or chocolate brownie, however “saintly” I am feeling, I know my temptation would not stretch that far… But maybe that says something about me…

Waffleometer:

WAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLE half Although it should probably be strawberrystrawberrystrawberrystrawberry half

strawbs and rasps

No comments:

Post a Comment