Saturday 29 June 2013

Nigella Express: Banana Butterscotch Muffins (But Actually Dark Chocolate): [How To Make]

 

Date: 27/6/13

Background: We had some over ripe banana’s left over and so basically I decided rather than bin them or let my housemate have them with custard (I feel unhappy about this) I thought I would make some delicious variations on Nigella’s Banana Butterscotch Muffin recipe. PLUS I haven’t done a ‘How-To-Make’ blog post in ages!

What: Banana and Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients:1062743_10151760439862774_1658292174_n

  • 3 over ripe bananas
  • 150mls vegetable oil
  • 250g self raising flour
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 150g dark chocolate chunks (or Nigella suggests butterscotch morsels)
  • 2 eggs

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 200C
  2. Mash the bananas in a bowl
  3. Mix together the oil and eggs and combine with the mashed banana
  4. Sift the flour, bicarb and baking powder
  5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients
  6. Break the chocolate into little morsel sized pieces (or used ready made chunks) – I used a broken bar of dark chocolate and this meant a variety of sized chunks within the muffins
  7. Add the chocolate to the muffin mix
  8. Prepare a muffin tin and line with muffin cases
  9. Using a dessert spoon/ice cream scoop, fill the cases with the mix
  10. Heat in a preheated oven, 200C for 20mins, or until a cocktail stick/skewer comes out clean

What Was Good: How easy they were to make! I literally made them and baked them in half an hour! So speedy, so easy and If you are careful not much washing up either! And my goodness they tasted delicious! Warm they oozed melted chocolate and the cake was soft, light and fluffy, but if you had enough patience and willpower to let them cool down, and even better, wait over night, they develop their banana flavour even more and are just as tasty! And I bet they are even more versatile! Nigella recommends using butterscotch pieces which I think would be very tasty as well! Another bonus is that you will probably have all the ingredients in the store cupboard anyway! So you can whip them up at a moments notice!

What Was Bad: Not even a criticism, but I plan on making them again (and again and again) but adding some chopped pecans as well for added flavour and texture! Oh and the mixture when you are making it does not look very appetising… But the finished product is divine Winking smile

Would I Make Them Again: I am already planning to make them again this week Winking smile

Waffle-O-Meter:

WAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLEWAFFLE half

 

Reference: Lawson, N (2009) Nigella Express. Chatto & Windus. I do not stake claims to this recipe I am merely reviewing it Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment